Travel down to Porkellis for Part 5

Hmm – well the walking holiday this year crept up on me! I decided to do it all differently this year. For a start, the week of South West Coast Way was much later in the year than usual. This was fortuitous as it has been the worst summer weather wise ever as far as I am concerned! The week before commencing the walk had been sunny though and the almost 6 hour journey was predominantly blue skies and hot for motorway driving. I arrived at the village of Porkellis and found the single track driveway down to Lower Dacum Farm thanks to a little laminated sign. I waited at the end of the drive for a few minutes, as they operate a 15 minutes one way system alternating between to the farm and away from the farm, as there are no passing places on the half mile ish rutted and bumpy track.

I had to get out of the car and dip my feet in disinfectant at the gate because of the foot and mouth outbreak in Surrey. I had a small convoy behind me, as people had been waiting in the school car park at the opposite end of the driveway for the one way system to kick in in our favour.

I was greeted by one of the lesbian couple owners as I pulled into the main tent field. I was given a quick tour of the facilities and the rules!! There are seemingly a few of them, quite a few to do with recycling, which is all well and good.

I erected the tent next to the tepee that they hire out, but no one had booked it for the first few nights I was going to be there at least. I decided I was a bit 'dry' for a night in the 'Social' Barn and so drove to Helston to the 24 hour Tesco to get some cider. I got some walnut bread, cheese, olives and sarnies for the next day as well.

I got back and walked over to the barn, which was empty to begin with. I was soon joined by a couple of lesbians who went to sit outside as soon as other lesbians arrived. I felt a bit out of it. Dee and Cath arrived soon though and did a good social job. 3 bottles of cider and some chinwagging later I went to bed, feeling not so sure about the camping in one spot on a gay campsite for a whole week idea?? Time would tell I guess.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 47 - Blackpool Sands to Dartmouth - 5 miles

Day 32 - St Anthony Head to Carne Beach – 8 miles

Travel down for Part Four and Day 18 - Porth Joke to Newquay - 3 miles