Day 25 - Lamorna Cove to St Michael's Mount/Marazion - 9 Miles

I was tired this morning and was up a bit later than the day before. I went for a shower just before 8am. I'd decided on the bike option again for the day, so put the rack and bike on the back of the car and set off. It was quite late – about 9.30am by the time I'd had some breakfast and written up the last of yesterday's diary.

I drove to Marazion, already getting bored of the route to Helston, and out towards Penzance. I found a signpost / fence to chain the bike to, after asking the car park attendant if it was ok to park up just while I chained the bike. He seemed impressed at my day's plan! I set off again in the car, this time only as far as Lamorna Cove. At least the journeys would be getting smaller over the next few days! I parked up overlooking the harbour and paid my 5 quid all day parking charge!!

I was tired as I set off up the rocky path out the far side of the cove. I wasn't sure how I was going to cope today, but I'd donned my old boots, which were more comfortable than the new cheap ones I'd worn yesterday! It was about 10.50am as I set off!!! There were nice views back to the harbour as I headed out to Carn Du Point.

Cottages and Mine workings in Lamorna Cove as I wearily set off on day 2.

Looking back at Lamorna Cove from the walk out to Carn Du Point.

The end of Carn Du Point.

St Michael's Mount (the end of today's walk) comes into site across Mount Bay from Carn Du Point.

Looking back at Tater Du with its lighthouse from Carn Du Point.

After the point, the path descended to just a few meters above the sea. I decided to stop and have a sun bathe down on the rocks just before the path enters woodland at Zawn Organ. The path was beautifully shaded as it gently climbed. As I left the woodland, the path continued to climb gently on the whole, up to a disused white look out building on the top of Penzer point. From this point on it was fairly flat and the path became a track between the first sparsely situated houses of Mouesehole.

A boat out to see from my sunbathing spot.

'Wild' Fuscias on the path not far from Penzer Point

The flat path after Penzer Point to the outskirts of Mousehole.

My descent down the lane into Mousehole.

I joined the main lane as it descended steeply into the pretty little town itself, with its tiny narrow streets crowded with cottages. Just before the harbour I stopped off to have a look around a small gallery. Nice stuff but if I could charge that much I could retire!

I walked around the edge of the picturesque harbour and then out on the new road. The guidebook pointed out a drainage pipe below that was pleasant to walk along instead, but the road wasn't that busy and a bit higher. I could see the end of my day's walk across Mount Bay constantly, which is always a bit disheartening.

The harbour in Mousehole.

The walk from Mousehole to Newlyn.

St Michael's Mount is still a long way away around Mount Bay.

Newlyn was a bit disappointing – but nice to walk around a working harbour with markets selling fresh fish etc, though none seemed to be open as I walked by. There was a seafront prom all the way from Newlyn to Penzance, which seemed to have plastic pirates a plenty – obviously cashing in on "Pirates of Penzance".

The harbour in Newlyn.

And again.. with Mount Bay beyond.

And again with a very distant St Michael's Mount still persistantly far away!

Crossing the river outlet into the harbour in Newlyn.

The approach to Penzance from Newlyn.

Flags on the Promenade in Penzance.

The harbour and old town in Penzance.

The rest of the walk was tiring – flat and tough on the soles of the feet and calves, all the way along National Cycle Network Route 3 again, behind the beach of Mount Bay. I made it round to Marazion by about 4.30pm, just as the last of the beach there was being engulfed by the still rising tide, forcing the bathers to huddle up by the rocks, and while I sat having some Diet Coke and fruit, many abandoned the beach altogether for the day.

St Michael's Mount getting gradually nearer as I trudge around Mount Bay.

At last I approach Marazion.

The bike is still securely chained to the fence at Marazion!

The cycle ride back along NCN Route 3 was nicer than the walk really, a nice breeze on my face and 12mph all the way back round to Mousehole. I didn't even attempt the hill up out of the town, but pushed the bike all the way up it. From then on it was flat or steeply downhill all the way. The car was still there, overlooking the harbour in Lamorna Cove and I racked up and set off. As a special treat I allowed myself a KFC at Penzance/Long Rock on the way back.

I went over to the Barn tonight to be sociable, but a group of lesbians, one of whom had a birthday, kept themselves to themselves, as seemingly seems usual here?? I think maybe it should be classed as a lesbian campsite really?? The other guys on the site didn't venture over to the barn again?? Maybe they feel as I do? Debbie and partner, who I'd enjoyed chatting to on the first night, came over later in the evening and they sat with me and it was at least good chatting to them. It seems anyone else who talks to you here is only doing it to be polite to the poor 'lonely' gay boy and they'd rather they didn't have to bother??

Map of the day's walk:(click to enlarge)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 47 - Blackpool Sands to Dartmouth - 5 miles

Day 32 - St Anthony Head to Carne Beach – 8 miles

Travel down for Part Four and Day 18 - Porth Joke to Newquay - 3 miles