Day 35 - Treveague Farm to Pentewan - 5 Miles

I'd planned a short day today. About half of the distance I'd got left if I finished this trip as half planned at Carlyon Bay near St Austell.

I got the bike on the back of the car after having a shower and set off for the proposed end of walk destination for the day of Pentewan. It was about 8.45am when I set off in the car and about 9.15am when I got back to the campsite to drop the car off.

The weather was pretty grey and dismal with a bit of drizzle in the wind from time to time. But I wasn't worried about that at all, as long as it didn't tip it down all day I would be glad to be out of the sun for the day. Another day of rest from the sun would perhaps mean I could have another morning or afternoon on the beach before going home on sunday.

I set off walking for the day heading down the footpath from the campsite to Gorran Haven that I had taken the other day on my day off from walking. I got down there and the village was deserted. I bought a couple of bottles of diet coke from the post office and also a cheese twist and a cheese and onion pasty. I had planned to save one for lunch but I went down to the benches at the back of the beach and sat and ate them both while looking out across the sea. It was a very different scene to the other day... all deserted and quiet and peaceful.

Gorran Haven nestling in its misty valley on the walk down from Treveague Farm

I was worn out today and found myself staring into space a lot and found it impossible to get going at all. I eventually heaved myself up off my bench and set off up the lane, past a sweet little church of St Just and then a Zionist church a little higher up the lane. I turned right at the top of the steep climb and continued to climb along a lane heading out towards Great Perhaver Beach. Eventually at the end of a residential lane I left someone’s drive via a stile and took to the undulating fields. There were better views back to Gorran Haven the further out onto the headland of Pabyer Point that I went.

The tiny St Just church in Gorran Haven

After leaving behind the last houses of Gorran Haven the path heads out behind Great Perhaver Beach towards Pabyer Point

Pabyer Point draws gradually nearer.

Looking back towards Gorran Haven on the walk out to Pabyer Point

Looking back to Gorran Haven after reaching the end of Great Perhaver Beach far below.

And again zooming in.

Cows as I approach Turbot Point and across the bay another Black Head that I should go round tomorrow.

I rounded Turbot Point at the far end of the headland and the thin spike of Land that is Chapel Point came into view with its few white painted houses on it. I rounded the back of Colona Beach and cut across the neck of Chapel Point before heading back inland towards Portmellon, which soon became visible along with its nextdoor neighbour of Mevagissey just a bit further on.

At least the walk into Portmellon was fairly flat until just before reaching it, where the path climbed up slightly to meet the lane into the hamlet. I had really struggled this morning with the climb up out of Gorran Haven. I just felt like I was running on empty today? My legs are weary beyond weary when going uphill!

The thin spike of land called Chapel Point comes into view as I round Turbot Point.

Chapel Point across Colona Beach as I head inland to go around the back of the beach.

Port Mellon gets nearer with Mevagissey tucked in behind the next headland.

I reached the main road into Portmellon and turned right, going downhill to go around the back of the beach on the road. A sign warned cars to beware of waves, so it obviously isn't always as millpondish as it was today! Shutters by the windows of all the cottages on the road front also indicated that they need to batten down the hatches from time to time!? The Rising Sun was shut, but I am not a drinker on this holiday anyway. The sandy bay was clogged with weed which seemed unsightly but I am sure when its weedless its quite a nice bit of sand.

I join the lane in Port Mellon to go round the back of the weed clogged beach.

Of course to get over to Mevagissey I had to do a steepish climb again, that today I just didn't feel capable of somehow. As I trudged my way up the lane a woman in an electric mobility car sped by me to rub salt into my tired wounds! Lol. I should have jumped on or thumbed a lift! At the top of the climb I turned right again around a residential road around the headland until gardens over looking Mevagissy Harbour below. There were fabulous hydrangeas dotted about, some so blue they seemed unreal. I should have taken a photograph! Just before reaching the gardens I passed the woman from finance and her husband heading the other way! She must think I am stalking her or something!? Mevagissey was a bustling, narrow-streeted, quaint place with nice solid buildings and some grander than simple cottages. I made my way through the streets to the harbour side and sat on a bench there watching lorries trying to deliver cement to building works further round the harbour and delivery lorries trying to deliver to the tiny shops down here etc etc. I had a tub of ice cream while sitting there as there happened to be a parlour selling it about 20 ft from the bench I'd planted myself on! I eventually forced myself to get up and walk along the harbour side but only initially into a sweet shop where I bought some jelly sweets pick and mix! What a pig out day today! All this excess energy sloshing around my system and none of it seemingly reaching my legs!

Mevagissey Harbour with Penare Point beyond.

A gradual descent through gardens to the harbour in Mevagissey.

The inner harbour at Mevagissey.

Fishing boat left high and dry in the harbour at Mevagissey.

It was a serious climb up from the harbour to a little park area around residential housing and then along a tarmac path through the shrubbery below larger houses and hotels on the clifftops. A heavy period of drizzle pulled itself across the landscape at this point and I sheltered under trees munching jelly sweets while the worst of it passed over. There were pleasant rocks below this point all the way from Mevagissey and a pleasant looking beach of Polstreath far below before I crossed a shallow valley to steeply climb up to Penare Point. I rounded this and my day's final destination came into view across the sandy beach belonging to Pentewan Holiday Park. The tide was well out and when I got to the tiny little inlet of Portgiskey at the edge of the main beach of Pentewan Sands I spied a stile and a very overgrown path that seemingly lead down to the sands. I took it and pushed my way through the undergrowth and took a walk right across the flat wet sands to the far side of the Holiday Park. I crossed the river mouth on their bridge and emerged after walking by some sheds opposite The Ship Inn pub. I decided to go in for a pint.... really I was just trying to put off the inevitable cycle back to the campsite. I had experienced the mile long stretch of quite steep hill leading up out of the village twice in the car and it seemed slightly daunting! I could have fallen asleep in the pub... starey eyed and actually quite down in the dumps today I have to admit? Not exactly sure why apart from being weary beyond weary which is always a bad state to be in for me emotionally.

The outer harbour of Mevagissey as I begin my climb out of the town with Chapel Point beyond.

Nearing Penare Point after walking the clifftops above Polstreath Beach.

View back to Chapel Point from the cliff tops above Polstreath.

Polstreath Beach below the cliffs, looking back towards Mevagissey.

Looking back along the cliffs to Mevagissey as I begin going around Penare Point

Pentewan Sands and Caravan Park after rounding Penare Point.

Looking back out along Penare Point from the sands between Portgiskey and Pentewan.

I forced myself to walk around to the bike and set off. I was very proud of myself for getting all the way up the mile long hill without stopping or getting off and walking though admittedly in my lowest gear all the way, and to be honest it probably finished me off and emptied any last energy I had left for the rest of the journey.

I rested briefly at the top before turning off on the road home. As I was passing The Lost Gardens of Heligan the heavens opened in a very wetting drizzle kind of way. The wind was blowing now I was near the tops and it was all rather exciting and exhilarating rather than depressing. I cycled my way through it, struggling up every minor gradient but hey ho,,, every pedal rotation meant getting a bit nearer home.

The final tally for the cycle ride was 7 miles. As it was still overcast and looked like drizzling on and off for the rest of the afternoon I decided to go into St Austell in search of supplies to eat for the next couple of days. I found an Aldi and so went in there and then drove off to find Carlyon Bay which looks to be a dump and a building site at the moment. On the way back I stopped off in Asda for the loo and then drove back to the camp site. I had a snooze in the car when I got back and when I cam around a couple of tents had gone up so I had new neighbours.

I read for the rest of the evening and typed this up in the car on battery power before heading off to bed at about 9.30pm. If the weather is bright tomorrow its highly likely that I won't do any more walking but go down to the beach instead. I am officially worn out and what's the point of killing myself off! Its supposed to be a holiday after all!!

Map of the day's walk:(click to enlarge)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 47 - Blackpool Sands to Dartmouth - 5 miles

Day 32 - St Anthony Head to Carne Beach – 8 miles

Travel down for Part Four and Day 18 - Porth Joke to Newquay - 3 miles